On Sunday, June 26, we are going to put that into practice in a literal and real way as we gather together that morning. After a short time of song and prayer, we will break into small groups and work on a variety of community service projects. Many will happen here in our building; some will take place off site.
This is not a time to skip worship! Rather it is a time to put our worship into real practice by using our hands and feet, our gifts and skills, our time and talent to make real the love of God through our actions that morning. Some of the small group activities are:
- Knitting prayer squares
- Helping the quilting group with comforters
- Preparing personal hygiene kits for homeless shelters
- Building a Little Free Library for use on our property
- Making treats for staff and guests at the Ronald McDonald Room at St. Luke’s Hospital
- Baking cookies for the firefighters of the Hiawatha Fire Department
- Making a home visit to some of our members
There ought to be something for everyone, no matter what your gifts or skills and no matter what your physical abilities might be. Sign-up sheets will be in the entryway beginning this Sunday, June 12.
Not going to be able to be here that Sunday? Well…in addition to your regular financial offering, consider making a donation to our child sponsorship program or Pilgrim Heights Retreat Center and be sure to mark it, “Faith in Action” offering.
What a morning it will be as we busy ourselves with actions and put our faith to work for the greater community and beyond.