At the end of June, thousands from across the country (and abroad) will gather for General Synod 2017 at the Baltimore Convention Center in Baltimore, Maryland. Pastor Mary Beth is serving as a delegate for the Iowa Conference for this event. Our former seminary student, Raven Rowe, is serving as a theological reflector during Synod.
At General Synod 2017, the theme is Make Glad! as members and friends from across the United Church of Christ celebrate, debate, worship and witness. Delegates will discern resolutions of witness, church structure, and function and will stand up for issues that demand a faithful witness. Resolutions include, but are not limited to:
- Calling for Participation with the Boy Scouts of America through Inclusive Scouting Programs
- On Proposing a New Framework for Covenantal Giving and Implementing Fundraising Best Practices
- On Becoming an Immigrant Welcoming Church
- Manual on Ministry, Re-Visioned
- Resolution of Witness in Support of Legislation Authorizing Aid in Dying
Delegates and visitors will join together in worship each day and will have opportunities to participate in several service projects while at Synod.
More information is available at the United Church of Christ website: uuc.org.