Hope’s 50th Anniversary/Celebration committee continues to work hard in exploring and acknowledging our past to inspire us into the future. Members of the committee are: Cindi Ohrt, Chair, Shelly Hatfield, Secretary, Jane Buck, Gwen Klima, John Nus, Marlene Hunt and Marilyn Simon. In January we had our very own Peter, Paul & Mary provide special music during our 1964 Sunday. On February 9th, we had our Chapel of Love with an affirmation of marriage vows. The committee was extremely pleased with the response and participation of our members! We then had a wedding reception! Faye Cieslek, Donna Hines, and Julie Ludovissy assisted the committee in the preparations. On Sunday, March 16th we celebrated the signing of the Charter of Hope on March 15, 1964; by recognizing the seven charter members still active at Hope United Church of Christ.
You may want to mark your calendars and explore how you can participate in our future events! Your committee appreciates the participation of our members.
- Sunday, April 6th – Rev. Chuck West will be our guest pastor and will provide the sermon message. “Name Your Pane” will be an added bonus as we ask those members who created our beautiful stain glass window to share which portion of the window they made.
- Sunday, May 11th – Hope’s very own David Letterman will present his Top Ten List of women’s service to Hope.
- Sunday, May 18th – Rev. Fritz Mellberg will be our guest pastor and will provide the sermon message.
- Sunday, May 25th – We will rededicate our building
- Sunday, June 1st –Rev. Lyle Kuehl will be our guest. In June, we will recognize the men of Hope and will participate in the Hog Wild Day parade.
- Sunday, July 27th – Rev. Lyle Greiner will be our guest and will provide the sermon message.
- Sunday, September 28th – Rev. Rich Pleva, our Iowa Conference Minister will be our guest and provide the sermon message. In September, we will celebrate the children of Hope and assist the Christian Education committee with their fall kick-off.
- Sunday, October 19th – Mark your calendars also for October 19 when we will celebrate Hope’s 50th in style with a catered dinner at the Hiawatha Community Center.
As you can see the committee is working hard for this year of celebration as we look back and also forward. Plan to participate!