By: Pastor Mary Beth Hartenstein
Last Saturday, June 21, was the first day of summer. The extended school year is finished; the vacation schedules are beginning to unfold; and the hot and humid weather is settling in over the heartland. I had often heard it said that summer is a time when things slowdown in the church. Well…that is not true here at Hope United Church of Christ!
I am happy to report that we have lots of activities, events, mission, ministry and programs that are happening over the next several months while the dog days of summer unfold. Here are just some of those items that have happened during the month of June:
- The Reverend Lyle Kuehl and Judy returned to visit.
- Strengthen the Church Offering was taken.
- Fifteen individuals enjoyed a night at the Kernels game.
- Vacation Bible School planning has taken place.
- Hog Wild Days happened.
- Quilting group has been to brunch … twice.
- Committees and Council have met.
- Spirituality Camp leaders will be leaving for Little Eagle.
Upcoming events include:
- Christmas in July, a joint effort of our Mission and Stewardship Committees.
- Four youth and myself attending the UCC Regional Youth Event, July 10-13.
- Vacation Bible School, July 17-20.
- Women’s Fellowship meeting.
- The Reverend Lyle Greiner visiting on July 27.
- Kernels Game on August 15.
- Committee and Council meetings.
- Special music throughout the summer.
- Blessing of the backpacks as school begins again.
- Pet Blessing Sunday, August 31.
- Lunch Bunch outings.
There are so many opportunities to continue to be in mission and ministry and fellowship together. Don’t miss out! Mark your calendars now to be a part of the events here at Hope United Church of Christ where we are a happening place … even in the summer!